David Acker wrote:
Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:55:34 -0400
Jeff Garzik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
The mii-tool utility seems to be abandoned and unmaintained?

Here is a version that does standard 1000baseT support.
    http://developer.osdl.org/shemminger/prototypes/mii-tool.tar.bz2
Not really. I would rather leave it as-is, and deprecate it in favor of ethtool.

It does make a handy debug tool when driver isn't doing MII correctly.

mii-tool supports some things that ethtool does not. mii-tool -A lets you set the advertised speeds and can include a list of speeds. The closest ethtool seems to have is ethtool -s but that seems to just set the advertised speed to a single value only.

We sent a patch for this to Jeff recently that allows setting of 'arbitrary' speeds. Unfortunately the interface is rather crude but it works (for e1000, and possibly all other nics) to set any combination of advertised speeds.

e.g. `ethtool -s eth0 advertise 0x0f` advertises all non-gigabit speeds

I haven't seen the patch merged yet upstream though.

Cheers,

Auke

We have instances where we want to limit the link of the ethernet port to no higher then 10 Mbps full duplex but also advertise support for half duplex.

With mii-tool we can do the command below and work with a half duplex hub and a full duplex switch.
mii-tool -A 10baseT-FD,10baseT-HD eth0

Meanwhile if I use ethtool like the command below I will not work with a half duplex only hub.
ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full autoneg on

Perhaps the "speed" part of ethtool -s should take a list of speeds like mii-tool does.

-Ack