Rick Jones wrote:
With mii-tool we can do the command below and work with a half duplex hub and a full duplex switch.
mii-tool -A 10baseT-FD,10baseT-HD eth0

Why, and how often, is that really necessary?

rick jones

Take a wifi router with only 802.11b radios and ethernet chips that do not support handling DMA to host memory. In this case receives from ethernet cost a lot since the packets must be read into host memory by the CPU (instead of written there by the adapter). Also, receiving 100 Mbit in when you only have 802.11b pipes out isn't terrible useful. UDP blasts from ethernet can hog the CPU and with some NICs cause soft lockups.

We could just set it to 10Mbit half duplex always but two 802.11b radios can saturate that with bidirectional traffic. We have seen failures to send due to collisions. Thus, we would like to be able advertise 10Mb full and half duplex so that we can get the appropriate speed when that the neighbor device supports. We have seen various ethernet switches or NICs (like IP video cameras with ethernet) that will not run 10Mb full duplex but will do 100Mb full or 10Mb half.

We want it to be configurable at run time since sometimes the same software may run on a system that has 802.11G radios and and perhaps more capable ethernet devices. We can detect our situation in our startup script and adjust the advertised speeds down only when needed.

-Ack