dean gaudet wrote:
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
The mii-tool utility seems to be abandoned and unmaintained?

Here is a version that does standard 1000baseT support.
        http://developer.osdl.org/shemminger/prototypes/mii-tool.tar.bz2
Not really.  I would rather leave it as-is, and deprecate it in favor of
ethtool.

is there some ethtool (version 5) option i'm missing that will give a nice concise link negotation state report like mii-tool does?

how about `ethtool ethX` ? It doesn't report what happened during negotiotion but it shows status and advertised/autonegotiated/supported modes

on e1000 it seems i can find this info only via the -d option, which dumps a lot of other info.

on skge -d doesn't seem to dump the negotiation state.

on tg3 -d doesn't even interpret the registers...

maybe it's just that i haven't had caffeine but i think i've tried every reporting option i can find on the man page and can't find link negotiation state.

dumping registers in readable format is an extension that needs to be implemented per driver. Not all nics have done this - we just did it ourselves for ixgb, and I saw skge/sky2 just fly by this week.

Cheers,

Auke

-dean