James Morris wrote:

>>>Agreed, the solution that we agreed upon is much easier to implement and
>>>explain than a lot of the alternatives.
>>
>>Ok, can you please explain it further?
>>
>>i.e. show me what the policy looks like, exactly what the user is trying
>>to achieve, and explain what happens to each packet exactly in terms of
>>labeling on the input and output paths.
>
> Also, why can't this be done just with xfrm labeling?

I believe the issue Venkat and I were discussing was how to handle the
case of multiple external labeling protocols, i.e. what to do if we get
a packet through labeled SA which has a CIPSO option.  As I've said
before, I don't believe this is something we will see much in practice
but I think we need to decide what to do: handle it somehow or just punt
on the problem and drop it.  Several people with experience with
external labeling have commented on how supporting both external
labeling protocols would be a good idea so Venkat and I are trying to
come up with a solution that works.

Please see my reponse with the pseudo code/policy examples as this might
help clear things up.

--
paul moore
linux security @ hp