On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 08:33 -0800, Simon Barber wrote:
> There are many reasons to have the master device - and many reasons not
> to get rid of it. The only excpetion is when using a limited fullmac
> card.  Some fullmac cards only support a single ethernet interface, so
> for these cards a single device may be OK, if we want to allow multiple
> different appearences for different types of card (a bad thing in my
> book). (Note - older prism 54g fullmac cards support WDS, hence need
> multiple interfaces).
>
> The master interface represents the physical networking device that
> works using native 802.11 frames. The qdisc works on 802.11 frames - not
> ethernet, and it can change how 802.11 management frames are queued. It
> can only be got rid of in the case of a fullmac card with only a single
> interface, where all management frames are processed in the card.
>
> In addition as we move to make 802.11 devices native (i.e. create an
> 802.11 protocol) the 802.11 master interface will be essential.

While these are good points, I don't believe having the master interface
as a *netdev* is essential. In fact, it now has no functionality as a
netdev, if you try routing packets over it they're simply dropped.

Of course we need some notion of the wireless PHY and cfg80211
explicitly represents that by assigning a wiphy index, but there's no
need for it to be a netdev.

johannes