Al Viro wrote:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:25:53AM -0500, Brian Haley wrote:
Since the only difference between echo requests and echo replies is the ICMPv6 type value (which is a difference of 1), just subtracting one from the request checksum will result in the correct checksum for the reply.

Um, no.  That will *not* result in correct checksum.  Please, RTFRFC 1071.

I verified this works for echo request/reply on my IA64 box, double-checked with ethereal/wireshark. Is there something specific in RFC 1071 that I should be looking for?

-Brian