On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 17:46 -0500, jamal wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-26-12 at 23:06 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > it is; that's why irqbalance tries really hard (with a few very rare
> > exceptions) to keep networking irqs to the same cpu all the time...
> >

> The problem with irqbalance when i last used it is it doesnt take into
> consideration CPU utilization.

then you used an old ancient version....

> With NAPI, if i have a few interupts it likely implies i have a huge
> network load (and therefore CPU use) and would be much more happier if
> you didnt start moving more interupt load to that already loaded CPU....

current irqbalance accounts for napi by using the number of packets as
indicator for load, not the number of interrupts. (for network
interrupts obviously)

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via