Ingo Molnar wrote:
so right now the only option for a clean codebase is the KVM in-kernel code.

I strongly disagree with this. Bad code in userspace is not an excuse for shoving stuff into the kernel, where maintaining it is much more expensive, and the cause of a mistake can be system crashes and data loss, affecting unrelated processes. If we move something into the kernel, we'd better have a really good reason for it.

Qemu code _is_ crufty.  We can do one of three things:
1. live with it
2. fork it and clean it up
3. clean it up incrementally and merge it upstream

Currently we're doing (1). You're suggesting a variant of (2), fork plus move into the kernel. The right thing to do IMO is (3), but I don't see anybody volunteering. Qemu picked up additional committers recently and I believe they would be receptive to cleanups.

[In the *pic/pit case, we have other reasons to push things into the kernel. But "this code is crap, let's rewrite it in the kernel" is not a justification I'll accept. I'd be much happier if we could quantify these other reasons.]