From: Saeed Mahameed <sa...@kernel.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:38:28 -0700

> allocated but unregistered netdevices also do not help much as the name
> of the netdev is not assigned yet.
>
> why don't use dev_info(pci_dev) macors  for low level functions when
> netdev is not available or not allocated yet.

The problem in this case is that they have this huge suite of
functions that operate on a specific ena sub-object.  Most of the time
the associated netdev is fully realized, but in the few calls made
during early probe it is not.

To me it is a serious loss that just because a small number of times
the interface lacks a fully realized netdev object, we can't use the
netdev_*() routines.

Most users aren't going to understand that an error message for PCI
device XyZ means eth0 is having problems.