Patrick McHardy wrote:
Ben Greear wrote:
Patrick McHardy wrote:

The last VLAN patchset was outdated, sorry about the mixup. These are the
correct patches. The iproute patch I posted was correct, so no repost of
that one.

Is there any significant performance penalty in creating VLANs using
these patches?

If you have a test station handy, could you let us know what 'time'
shows for a script
creating 4000 VLANs with the old vconfig/ioctl method v/s this new method?

Not significantly more, for 1000 VLANs I get:

ip link add:

real    0m22.836s
user    0m0.100s
sys     0m5.850s

vconfig add:

real    0m19.739s
user    0m0.090s
sys     0m3.600s

Thanks for doing the tests.  That small performance drop seems
fine to me.

ip -b (batch add):

real    0m5.239s
user    0m0.280s