Kok, Auke wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
Can knowledgeable people characterize the PCIe adapters somehow? Is that "ICH8-era and later", or does it go back further than that?

ich8 and 9 are consistent with 82571/2/3 - on-board nic's based on the 82571 design with different PHY's, and added features for the newer demands. A driver split here would be possible but not justified IMHO.

> if you want a quick view of features by chipset type, open the patch
> and search forward to /e1000_setup_flags/.

I briefly looked over your new driver. I think it might benefit by moving common parts into one or more libraries (or modules) and have separate chip-specific drivers for 82540, 82541, 82542, 82543, 82571 etc. Put all the chip-specific bits in a chip-specific driver and have each driver call into the common (shared) code. The device probe/init/remove would be done by the chip-specific code, not the common code like it is now. When built as a module, the chip-specific parts and the common parts could be built as separate modules; modprobe would load the common parts automatically. Most of the code would be in the common part since these chips are very similar.

Doing the above would lead naturally to a series of patches which will make it easier to review. When Intel release a new device variant in the future, it might be supported by a new, small driver rather than needing modifications to one big monolith. Also, the kernel would be loaded with only the code it needed to support the specific device(s) present.

BTW, since you're doing a major update, would it be a good time to switch to phylib to manage your PHYs?

--
James Chapman
Katalix Systems Ltd