Jeff Garzik wrote:
Kok, Auke wrote:
David Miller wrote:
From: Jiri Slaby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:19:30 +0200

I found a regression in 2.6.23-rc4-mm1 (since -rc3-mm1) in e1000e driver.
napi_disable(&adapter->napi) in e1000_probe freezes the kernel on boot.
Yes, the semantics changed slightly in the net-2.6.24 tree the
other week and someone needs to fix it up.

The netif_napi_add() implicitly does a napi_disable() call.  Device
open must explicitly napi_enable() and device close must explicitly
napi_disable(), and if done elsewhere these calls must be strictly
balanced.
I'll fix it... it's my patch that adds the new napi code to it and I need to get it ready for the merge window anyway.

well.... since its close to the merge window opening, we could see what happens if DaveM pulls branch 'upstream' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git

That should make this class of pre-merge-window annoyance go away.

If I do that now I get a big merge conflict:

$ git-pull . net-2.6.24
 100% (22583/22583) done
Removed Documentation/networking/NAPI_HOWTO.txt
Auto-merged drivers/net/8139cp.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/8139too.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/8139too.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/Kconfig
Auto-merged drivers/net/Makefile
Auto-merged drivers/net/cxgb3/cxgb3_main.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/cxgb3/sge.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/fs_enet/fs_enet-main.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/gianfar.h
Auto-merged drivers/net/ibmveth.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/ibmveth.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/ibmveth.h
Auto-merged drivers/net/myri10ge/myri10ge.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/netxen/netxen_nic_main.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/pasemi_mac.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/pasemi_mac.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/pasemi_mac.h
Auto-merged drivers/net/pcnet32.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/ps3_gelic_net.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/qla3xxx.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/s2io.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in drivers/net/s2io.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/s2io.h
Auto-merged drivers/net/sb1250-mac.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/sky2.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/sky2.h
Auto-merged drivers/net/tsi108_eth.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/wireless/rtl8187_dev.c
Auto-merged drivers/net/xen-netfront.c
Removed include/net/tcp_ecn.h
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

for e1000e the fixup is just a 1-line change from the previous -mm napi fixup patch, so I don't really care (it's peanuts), but people might want to start looking into the above conflicts ;)

Cheers,

Auke