On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, David Stevens wrote:
give it away on this specific instance.  I'm not sure if you should
attribute to hidden agendas what you can explain by "doing the right
thing" (granted, very few companies do this which may make it suspect,
but still..).

Pekka,
       I'm not assuming hidden agendas here; I simply don't know what
they mean by "no license for implementers."  It doesn't say they
relinquish *all* licensing, which would be clearer if that's what they
mean. If implementers, distributors, and users are included, then
who's left that does need licensing? If that answer really is nobody,
then why bother with "for implementers."?
       So, I don't think it's a hidden agenda, I think they said what
they mean. I just don't know what they mean. :-)

If you look at the page they used to file the disclosure:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/new-specific/

You'll notice that they chose the most relaxed option available, and all the options only discuss implementers not distributors.

Now, if you look at the background commentary of the subject:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3905

.. the comment about that particular option is:

   a) No License Required for Implementers: The Patent Holder does not
      require parties to acquire any license to its Necessary Patent
      Claims in order to make, have made, use, import, offer to sell,
      sell, or distribute technology that implements such an IETF
      specification.

Seems clear to me, though someone could argue whether RFC 3905 is normative in this context, i.e., whether the person who submitted the disclosure understood the comment quoted above and that that's the way "no license required for implementers" must be interpreted.