Patrick McHardy wrote:
Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:51:43 -0800
Ben Greear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

For consideration, this patch seems to work for me.  I'm not sure
why we ever listed to these events.  I've only tested on a NIC that
doesn't support hw-accel at the moment..will test with e1000 later.

Thanks,
Ben

But then if you are doing bonding or bridging of vlan's and you bring down the root network device, the upper layer is not
notified (for failover).

operstate should be enough for this I guess. Ben, what does iproute show
for the vlan device when the lower device is down?

It looks like it knows, assuming M-DOWN is useful information.
Eth2 is un-plugged, by the way.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ifconfig eth2 up
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ip link show eth2.2
125: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc
noqueue
    link/ether 00:03:2d:08:33:47 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ifconfig eth2 down
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ip link show eth2.2
125: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,M-DOWN> mtu 1500

--
Ben Greear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>