On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Martin Bjorklund <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:
> Andy,
>
> I don't think the implementation burden on the server is that heavy.
> A YANG 1.0 compliant server today supports:
>
>    leaf a in module A of type foo from foo@2001-01-01
>    leaf b in module B of type foo from foo@2002-02-02
>
> I.e., it supports different leafs in the combined data model referring
> to different versions of the same type.
>
> A YANG 1.1 server would also support
>
>    leaf a in module A of type foo from foo@2001-01-01
>    leaf b in module A of type foo from foo@2002-02-02
>
> Of course, how much a specific implementation is affected will vary,
> but I don't think the concepts are *that* different.

I am not that concerned about the implementation details.
Our server fully supports multiple revisions at once.
I am more concerned with the increased complexity
due to multiple imports of the same module.

I think Y45-03 is sufficient and Y45-04 covers
1 or 2 corner-cases that don't justify the increased complexity.
In the hands of experts it won't be a problem, but most
YANG modules are not read or written by experts.

We don't have any experience using multiple revisions
at once. Even the example touted as the reason we need Y45-04
was pointless (because ip-address the same in both revisions).
I am not convinced it is really needed. I am much more comfortable
adding a new feature like "actions", because there is significant
deployment of this solution approach.