Hi Martin, et al,

On 1/8/16, 2:54 AM, "Martin Bjorklund" <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>"Acee Lindem (acee)" <a...@cisco.com> wrote:

>>YANG

>>or

>>whereas
>> >
>> >Then #1 looks like a non-starter to me.
>>
>> I’d like to point out that we also have the requirement to allow
>>retrieval
>> of derived-state along with intended-config and applied-config. This
>>will
>> require modification to most of the existing YANG drafts as most now
>>have
>> separate trees for config and operational state.
>
>I don't agree with the conclusion that changes are needed due to this
>requirement.
>
>Solution #1 ("openconfig") requires changes to handle applied config.
>Solution #2 ("kent's") does not.
>
>Both solutions #1 and #2 use separate nodes for derived state.
>
>It might appear as #1 and #2 are very different in their handling of
>derived state, since #1 put all config false nodes directly under the
>config true nodes, whereas #2 in some cases have a top-level
>"xxx-state" config false node.
>
>But in fact #2 allows the solution in #1 as one special case.  The
>reason that RFC 7223 has a separate list for derived state interfaces
>is to allow for non-configured interfaces to be monitored.  If this
>was not a requirement, all config false nodes could (would) have been
>defined in the config true interface list.

I see that this is discussed in the latest version of
draft-ietf-netmod-rfc6087bis-05.txt and that it is “appropriate" to put
the operational state in the same subtree as the config state if it would
not exist if not configured. Is “appropriate” a recommendation?

   Careful consideration needs to be given to the location of
   operational state data.  It can either be located within the
   configuration subtree for which it applies, or it can be located
   outside the particular configuration subtree.  Placing operation
   state within the configuration subtree is appropriate if the
   operational values can only exist if the configuration exists.

However, we currently have many YANG models in progress where the config
and state trees are separate subtrees. If we all agree with the opstate
requirement for derived state, perhaps it is time to get the word out and
modify these models.

Thanks,
Acee