On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 03:38:00PM +0000, Robert Wilton wrote:

> Since an ID is effectively superseded by any new versions, I think that
> it is useful if a module defined in an ID has a revision date that
> matches the published ID, and also a reference back to the ID version
> that defines it.  At least if someone ends up implementing that module
> they can check its provenance.  Both of these properties would also be
> verifiable by idnits.

Right now, we seem in the "hey lets invent more rules mode" and
tomorrow I am sure we are again in the "hey the IETF is way to
complicated to work in" mode.

If you have a unique revision date, why is google and the like not
sufficient to find the matching I-D? Sure, the proposed rule itself
does not hurt, but an increasingly large collection of rules may start
to hurt. So please, lets try to find the minimum number of rules where
we have evidence that they avoid big problems.