Hi -

This is not a new problem.  An approach was standardized almost
two decades ago.  That particular approach has a steep learning
curve, but that doesn't mean that the concept should be discarded.
In fairness, that specification tries to boil a larger ocean than
the one surveyed here.

See ITU-T Rec. X.722 Amendment 3 (aka ISO/IEC 10165-4/AMD3) on
"Guidelines for the use of Z in formalizing the behaviour of managed
objects."  https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-X.722-199708-I!Amd3/en

I think the real problem is the operational complexity of the
devices being managed.  This is a direct consequence of how the
IETF has defined the operational characteristics (and options!)
of the protocols in question, and of vendors' drive for market
differentiation.  If a gizmo is designed to be complicated, it
should not surprise us when modeling its behaviour is also
complicated.

Randy