On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 11:46:47AM -0500, cho...@chopps.org wrote:

> Lou Berger <lber...@labn.net> writes:
>
> > Juergen,
> >
> > see below

> >> Cool. So if I mount ietf-interfaces (a top-level module) into some
> >> other place, what happens to all the data models that augment
> >> ietf-interfaces with interface specific objects, like the ietf-ip
> >> module (a non-top-level module)?
> >
> > they are allowed/supported in the same way that they would be today,
> > just with the modifications/rewrite of their base models.
> >

> >> I fail to see why this distinction between top-level modules and
> >> non-top-level modules is useful.
> >
> > I'm describing a single use case, which only requires top-level support,
> > not all desirable capabilities or a solution.
>
> Hi Juergen,
>
> The top-level modules would carry the mounts of the non-top-level
> modules that are attached within them. I don't see this making sense any
> other way. The idea here is to support a parent device being able to
> mount a contained child device's modules and modify them external to the
> child devices normal management mechanism (e.g., not having to log into
> the child's netconf server).
>
> Given that, what's the use of talking about mounting "inner" modules?
> You have to mount the "outer" (or containing) module to be able to
> access them, and by mounting the containing module you gain access to the
> contained modules.
>
> At least that's how I picture this working.

But even then, why do we need new terms? If you mount a path, then you
mount a path in a datastore. Modules that do not define paths obviously
then can't be mounted. How about this:

module top-level-module {
  container top;
}

module non-top-level-module {
  import "top-level-module" { prefix top; }

  augment "/top:top/" {
    container second;
  }
}

Can I mount /top/second? Why would a solution be simpler if I make
this impossible?