On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 10:09:37AM +0000, Robert Wilton wrote:
> Hi Juergen,
>
> I don't really follow your point.
>
> The solution is fully backward compatible - in that only clients that
> make use of the protocol extension would see the new encoding. Existing
> clients would continue to see the encoding as directly defined in the
> YANG schema, and a server would be able to support old and new clients
> concurrently.

The YANG RFC details how data is encoded in XML. People have written
and deployed code against based on this RFC. I do not accept an
approach where an RPC option can simply request that the encoding
defined in the YANG RFC is ignored and replaced with a very different
encoding.

/js (stating a clear opinion as a technical contributor)