"Yingzhen Qu (yiqu)" <y...@cisco.com> writes:

> Hi Lada,
>
> For ECMP, we can actually define the next-hop as a list, so if there is
> only one element in the list it¹s the simple next-hop case, and for ECMP
> there are multiple elements in the list. RIB is more complete by adding
> ECMP support.

We already had ECMP nexthops in rev. 16 (look for "multipath-entry"):

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-16

They were removed along with other fancy next-hops in the interest of
finishing this data model soon/ever. I still think ECMP can be easily
added via augments, but if there is consensus that ECMP is really
ubiquitous, we can put that stuff back, perhaps conditionally using a
feature (as it was in rev. 16).

Lada

> Thanks,
> Yingzhen
>
> On 3/4/16, 5:00 AM, "netmod on behalf of Ladislav Lhotka"
> <netmod-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of lho...@nic.cz> wrote:
>
>>"Acee Lindem (acee)" <a...@cisco.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Lada,

>>> Are there planned implementations required YANG models where only IPv4
>>>or
>>> IPv6 are supported? Maybe way off in the future, when you and I are both
>>> sitting on a beach drinking beer there will be IPv6 only products but I
>>> don¹t see it happening soon.
>>>

>>Maybe some experts in the embedded area could comment on this, but I
>>believe in both 6LoWPAN and ZigBee IPv6-only networks are commonplace.

>>> I don¹t disagree - but why are they grouped with the main RIB and infra
>>> draft? Router Advertisement should be with the other RFC 4861 protocols.
>>> It is out of place here.
>>
>>The idea is that any device that implements ietf-routing is required to
>>support these configuration variables, which is what 4861 says. With a
>>mechanism like Andy's packages we would have more flexibility, but for
>>the time being the best solution seems to be to move RA stuff to a
>>submodule.

>>> Are there hosts that don¹t support at least ECMP?
>>
>>I am not sure. If there is consensus that ECMP is really ubiquitous,
>>then we can add it.

>>> It is not but as long as we are changing the model, we might as well
>>> handle the predominant use cases.
>>
>>My concern is that other groups may come up with their favourite
>>cases. Any new stuff increases the likelihood that bugs or inadequacies
>>will be discovered in the module after it is published, but then it will
>>be a problem due to the draconian module update rules. So I'd prefer to
>>keep this module really skinny.

>>> I guess we will discuss this in upstate call next week. However, no
>>>matter
>>> what solution we come up with, it seems keeping the derived state closer
>>> to intended/applied config is better.
>>
>>OK.
>>
>>Lada
>>

>>> Thanks,