Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <
> j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

>> > I like to see whether we have consensus to add this clarifying
>> > sentence. I believe it documents something that we always assumed to
>> > be true but we did not write it down explicitly. If anyone disagrees
>> > with adding this clarification, please speak up now.
>> >

>> I have not heard anyone disagreeing with adding this clarification.
>>
>> Martin did not put this additional sentence into -12 and since we seem
>> to have consensus on adding this clarification I like to ask him to
>> add this sentence if another revision is made before the IESG
>> telechat. I am CCing Benoit in case he wants to add this as a comment
>> to his IESG evaluation record.
>>

> Was it unclear before that the result of deviations were allowed to be
> invalid?

Right, I think it goes pretty much without saying, so this sentence is
IMO unnecessary. The real problem is that different ways of applying the
deviations may lead to different data models, all valid.

I think this should be avoided although I don't know how to do it. In
hindsight, it would probably be better to allow the server to specify
just a single deviation module with no other content. Then it would be
easier to state some rules.

> I do not object to this text, but I hope those 3 words "in any order" are
> enough
> of a clue to developers that on the server "only one wins" but the client
> does not know which one.  I will add a YANG guideline to avoid duplicate
> deviation targets.  (issue #33)

I don't think it is clear that only one wins. Three deviations adding
default values to the same leaf-list target could be possibly applied
together.

Lada

> /js
>>

> Andy
>

>> --
>> Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
>> Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
>> Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C