Hi,

Dan Romascanu encouraged me to look at this I-D as part of his efforts
to organize YANG document reviews. Since the YANG definitions are not
consistent with the tree diagram, I have not really looked at the YANG
definitions yet. So the comments below are essentially about the
surrounding document structure, terminology, etc.

- Abstract: The 'which is used to convey event notification messages'
  may relate to 'the Syslog protocol' or 'a data model' and hence the
  sentence is I think potentially confusing. Perhaps simply remove the
  phrase altogether? Readers who do not know what SYSLOG is should
  stop reading here anyway. Or break the sentence into two to make the
  structure clearer. Perhaps add one more sentence describing what the
  scope of the data model is.

- The text uses Syslog, syslog, and SYSLOG. It is not clear what the
  difference is (if any). If there is no semantic difference, I
  suggest to pick one writing style (and 5424 seems to prefer all
  lowercase except in cases where a sentence starts etc).

- Change title of 4.1 to 'The ietf-syslog-types Module' and 4.2
  to 'The ietf-syslog Module' or something similar and consider
  changing the title of section 4 to "Syslog YANG Modules" since
  it contains the definitions of the modules themselves.

- In section 2, should 'monitor and control' be 'configure and
  monitor' in section 2? Are there actually definitions that support
  monitoring? Perhaps the scope is just configuration?  Otherwise, I
  would have expected to see a bunch of basic counters (messages
  received, forwarded, dropped, the usual monitoring stuff).

- In section 2, s/network management agents such as NETCONF/network
  management protocols such as NETCONF/

- In section 2, the phrase 'This module' is a hanging reference. There
  is no prior text talking about a module. Perhaps replace with 'The
  data model'

- I did not find the term 'message distributor' in RFC 5424. The
  figure first made me assume that only a console, log buffers, or log
  files are message distributors but later it was stated that relays
  and collectors (RFC 5424 defined terms) are also 'message
  distributors'. Perhaps it helps to clearly spell out terms imported
  from RFC 5424 and to clearly define any additional terms that go
  beyond what is defined in RFC 5424.

- Is it possible to shorten 'log-input-transports' to simply
  'log-inputs' (en par with log-actions)? And since both containers
  are under syslog, perhaps even the 'log-' prefix is not needed and
  all we have are /syslog/inputs and /syslog/actions? (I generally
  find it useful to look at the resulting paths and whether they are
  'engineer friendly'.

- I guess I have to define multiple /syslog/input/receiver in order to
  listen on multiple UDP ports, e.g. to support both 0.0.0.0:514 and
  [::]:514? This may be just find - just checking that this is the
  idea.

- I actually do not find the definition of log-input-transports in the
  YANG model. It seems the tree diagram is not consistent with the
  YANG model. So I can't judge what the structured-data boolean flag
  is doing or what the syslog-sign presence container would do for
  inputs.

- The security considerations are quite generic; I think the template
  asks for a more specific discussion.

- I am not sure why RFC 6020 is an informative reference and why all
  the normative references are actually normative. It might be useful
  to go over the list to make sure we get the normative / informative
  distinction right.

- My understanding is that RFC 5424 numbers facilities and there is a
  hard limit on the number of facilities that the protocol can
  distinguish. RFC 5424 says:

    Facility values MUST be in the range of 0 to 23 inclusive.

  Given this, the 'extending facilities' appendix does not make much
  sense to me. And given the fact that the number of facilities is
  fixed (which is due to the way things are encoded in RFC 5424), I am
  not even sure that using an identity instead of an enumeration is
  useful (except if we expect a future version of SYSLOG to use a very
  different encoding of facilities). I mean, to stay within the bounds
  of RFC 5424, all one can do is to add an identity that maps to an
  already allocated code point.

- Do not use 1.1.1.1 as an example IP address, consider using an IPv6
  address from the IPv6 example address space.

- Section 4.3 should not be in Section 4 and the title 'A Syslog
  Example' is kind of misleading since the text shows NETCONF messages
  operating on the SYSLOG YANG data model. I suggest to move 4.3 to
  a new top-level section 5 "Usage Examples". Does it make sense to
  show some complete example configs for typical use cases?

- Before the YANG model definitions, it is a common idea to describe
  what is imported from which RFCs. For example, one of the YANG
  modules imports ietf-interfaces but there is no (normative)
  reference to the relevant RFC. See the first sentence in section 4
  of RFC 7277 for an example how to do this.

- I suggest to remove the subsection title 3.1. or to change the title
  to "SYSLOG Data Model" and lifting it up to the top-level so that it
  becomes section 4.

As said above, I have not reviewed the YANG definitions yet since
apparently it is not in sync with the rest of the document. But I
thought I send these comments now anyway so that they can already be
taken into account.