On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 2:52 AM, t.petch <ie...@btconnect.com> wrote:

> Lou
>
> You say below
> "
> > It's just a ro version/view of the config data.  I'm not sure why this
> > is problematic.  Perhaps I'm just missing something.
> "
>
> I see it as a fundamental change (to NETCONF).  Tracking other lists
> (e.g.I2RS) I repeatedly get the sense that they have not grasped what
> configuration data is (editable, potential persistent but a minute
> fraction of what a box needs to operate), and by contrast what is state.
> I see some, if not many, of Juergen's posts to that list as reflecting
> that such as
> "I have no clue what the above sentence is trying to say. Please try to
> use YANG terminology. "
>

> Every time I read 'ephemeral state' I think the same; state is
> ephemeral, the phrase does not convey any meaning (except that the user
> does not understand what configuration is).
>
> And this comes mostly from RFC6241 not from RFC6020.
>
> So, I see a strong preference for Option B which is all very logical, as
> Acee points out.  But Option B I see as being a fundamental change to
> RFC6241, so if the netmod WG takes that decision, then it is stamping on
> the netconf WG.  Perhaps the WG should be merged, now that 6020bis is on
> its way, but for the moment, I believe that changes to NETCONF need the
> consensus of  the NETCONF WG.

I disagree.
I have implemented NETCONF and RESTCONF and I do not see any problems with
adding additional (optional) datastores.

As often the case in the IETF, when a WG does not have consensus on a
particular
topic, the standard is silent on that topic.  That is what happened with
config=false in RFC 6241
and 6020.  I don't see a problem with a datastore model that evolves over
time.

> Tom Petch

Andy