On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Kent Watsen <kwat...@juniper.net> wrote:

> [as a contributor]
>

> So, I see a strong preference for Option B which is all very logical, as
> Acee points out.  But Option B I see as being a fundamental change to
> RFC6241, so if the netmod WG takes that decision, then it is stamping on
> the netconf WG.  Perhaps the WG should be merged, now that 6020bis is on
> its way, but for the moment, I believe that changes to NETCONF need the
> consensus of  the NETCONF WG.
>

> I disagree.
>
> I have implemented NETCONF and RESTCONF and I do not see any problems with
>
> adding additional (optional) datastores.
>

> KENT > Right, but mapping the solution to drafts is key.  For instance,
> would there be one draft to define the conceptual model and then two other
> drafts for mapping that model to NETCONF and RESTCONF?   And if so, to
> Tom’s point, should those drafts go through the NETCONF WG?

I don't have any plans to implement this new work.
I expect it to be similar to the "candidate" datastore.
If I do not support the candidate datastore, the added cost to
my implementation is ZERO.

RFC 6241 uses an extensible design for datastores.
(Parameter is a container with a choice of N empty leafs).
Adding a new leaf that represents a datastore is almost free in NETCONF.
(a few augment statements).

The <edit-config> and <commit> operations do not specify an exact
validation procedure
for datastores. YANG defines the validation rules for datastores.
IMO YANG needs to be revised, not NETCONF.