On 25/07/2016 21:03, Kent Watsen wrote:

>> Juergen writes:

>> Bottom line: I think we should continue to follow the model used by

>> the ietf-interfaces model and the ietf-ip model until we have a better

>> solution in place (and subsequently we can deprecate objects that

>> became redundant).

> Rob writes:

> This is pretty much what I'm trying to say as well, but in a stronger

> way.  I.e. mandating that all IETF YANG models MUST follow this

> structure, and split config and state into two top level trees.

I agree that a revised datastore model plus matching solutions can

eliminate the need for the interfaces-state convention.  But this would

only apply to client/servers that have been updated to grok the new

approach - right?

RW: Yes.

  If these nodes are subsequently deprecated, or new

modules are created assuming the new approach from the get go, are

we leaving the legacy client/servers behind with no way to get, for

instance, the operational status for system-created interfaces?

RW: Yes.

When chatting to Chris Hopps, we had come to conclusion that this may not pragmatically matter, but it would still be a violation of the RFCs ...

So my thinking is that if we can't merge "foo-state" into "foo" then instead we should have consistent rules that explicitly state that for all IETF models "foo" and "foo-state" are separate trees with a consistent naming convention and structure. That should hopefully allow tooling to programmatically relate the two separate trees together. It may give a path to allow "foo-state" to be merged into "foo" in future, but once IETF has standardized 600+ models with separate sub-trees, I cannot see that they would get merged back together again.

What other alternatives are available? As a WG we need to tell the other WGs how the IETF YANG models should be structured.

In short, unfortunately I think that we have probably already missed the opportunity to merge "foo" and "foo-state" subtrees together ...

Rob

It seems that we need to make a hard cutover sooner or later...

Kent  // as a contributor