> On 26 Jul, 2016, at 9:52 AM, Robert Wilton <rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> What other alternatives are available?  As a WG we need to tell the other WGs
> how the IETF YANG models should be structured.

An interested observer could note that the convention that was described in the
initial OpenConfig proposal had objections to it based on the fact that it
required models to be written in a certain way. Although this way is
prescriptive, and could be observed to cause some pain to the model writer
(albeit limited), it has a number of advantages in terms of being very
deterministic as to how the model should be structured, allowing leaves to be
easily related to each other, and can be programmatically verified.

It seems to me like the working group is trying to have its cake and eat it —
that is to say, get these advantages without being prescriptive to the model
writer. It is not clear to me that this is actually achievable.

r, An Interested Observer.