Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 04:14:42PM +0200, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
>>
>> We could define it using built-in statements, and bump YANG version number.
>> I don't get why this is worse that introducing "standard extensions", except
>> at Layer 8 (Political) - we can claim that YANG is stable even though it
>> isn't.
>>

> - Running a document of the size and complexity of the YANG
>   specification through the IETF and publication process is expensive.

This is just a procedural issue. Updates to some protocols (e.g. OSPFv3)
were specified as a diff.

> - It is not clear at this point in time that YANG mounts are required
>   to be supported everywhere.

Well, we already have things in base YANG that arguably aren't required
to be supported everywhere, for example notifications or actions.

But either way - if an implementation doesn't support a fundamental data
modelling function that's used in a module, then this implementation
cannot use this module, no matter whether the function is implemented as
built-in or extension.

> - It is up to this WG to keep YANG 1.1 stable. Claiming YANG isn't
>   stable as a justification to make it not stable is a somewhat
>   circular logic.

I don't see anything circular here. If any implementor can randomly
choose from a host of extensions, there will be no standard YANG at
all. We all remember browser wars, right? They were caused by extensions
to web standards. I am concerned that this can easily happen here, too.

> I strongly believe that it is feature to work with extensions wherever
> possible. Gain experience with language extensions first and if they
> are widely deployed and used, consider to move them into the core at
> some point in time. I believe it is desirable to keep the complexity
> of the core YANG language somewhat under control.

For this approach to work, we would need to change the character of
extensions, in particular:

- an implementation should be able to signal which extensions are
  supported,

- extensions that change the data model need to be labelled as mandatory
  to support.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs