On Tue, Aug 02, 2016 at 01:12:34PM +0200, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:

> Yes, but if the YANG version is bumped, the client can immediately see
> that it is not compatible, and disconnect. In contrast, sec. 6.3.1 says
> that an extension "MAY be ignored in its entirety". According to the
> RFC 2119 semantics, doing so should not affect interoperability, which
> is clearly not the case here.

This is apparently where views substantially differ; I do not consider
it an interoperability failure if an old client does not understand a
part of a datamodel of an updated server that the old client is not
dealing with. For me, interoperability means that a server can upgrade
while old clients continue to function as they did before. For me,
interoperability does not mean that server and clients always have to
be updated at the same time and it does not mean that a client needs
to understand and support the entire set of datamodels exposed by a
server.