Hi Kent,

On 10/12/2016 00:59, Kent Watsen wrote:

> I prefer not to use specialized <get-foo> operations.

Agreed, I was thinking something more along the lines of:

   <get-config>

      <source>

         <operational-state/>

      </source>

      <with-diagnostics/>      <--- note this flag here

      <filter type="subtree">

         <top xmlns="http://example.com/schema/1.2/config";>

            <foo>

              <bar/>

            </foo>

         </top>

      </filter>

   </get-config>

Thus explicitly requesting all the extra stuff get returned...

Yes, that is roughly along the lines that I was thinking.

Or building on draft-nmdsdt-netmod-revised-datastores:
- presuming the existing of a <get-data/> operation to generically return the contents of any datastore, - defining a new <diagnostics> datastore that contains the contents of the <operational-state> along with all config false schema nodes labelled as "diagnostics true".

   <get-data>

      <source>

         <diagnostics/>

      </source>

      <filter type="subtree">

  <get-data/>

Thanks,
Rob

> In the usage model that Rob described, the service tech will be

> setting diag-mode to 'system'  then retrieving the extra 'diag-stats',

>then setting diag-mode back to 'user'.

Right, but this does not seem ideal as the diag-mode toggle is a global setting that would affect all clients for some window of time, or do we envision diag-mode dropping the system down to single-user mode?

Kent  // contributor