On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 04:15:00PM +0100, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Issue https://github.com/netmod-wg/entity/issues/13
>
>   Should the model support pre-configuration of hardware components?
>   The current model supports pre-configuration of components provided
>   the operator knows the name of the component to be installed. A more
>   useful model would use the parent component, class, and
>   parent-rel-pos as identification. If the system detects a component
>   and there is configuration available for the parent component,
>   class, and parent-rel-pos then the system would instatiate the
>   component with the provided name, and optionally additional
>   parameters.
>
> See also various mails from Timothy Carey and Bart Bogaert on this
> issue.
>
> Personally, I think that we should add these nodes, since the ML
> comments indicated that pre configuration is pretty useful.

I am still not sure what exactly this will do. I have been looking at
<https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netmod/current/msg17039.html>.
I am provisioning mfg-name (Preferred value is the manufacturer name
string actually printed on the component itself (if present).) but all
I have is that something of a certain expected class has been plugged
into a certain position of the parent container. Also note that
mfg-name scopes comparisons of other properties. I would have similar
questions concerning the model-name; how can a provisioning system
predict the 'vendor-specific model name identifier'? Or is the whole
idea that if I plug something that does not match, the component is
left in a special state (which one)? If this is the intention, then
this needs to be spelled out clearly somewhere.