On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 05:26:09PM +0100, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
> Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 04:15:00PM +0100, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Issue https://github.com/netmod-wg/entity/issues/13
> > >
> > >   Should the model support pre-configuration of hardware components?
> > >   The current model supports pre-configuration of components provided
> > >   the operator knows the name of the component to be installed. A more
> > >   useful model would use the parent component, class, and
> > >   parent-rel-pos as identification. If the system detects a component
> > >   and there is configuration available for the parent component,
> > >   class, and parent-rel-pos then the system would instatiate the
> > >   component with the provided name, and optionally additional
> > >   parameters.
> > >
> > > See also various mails from Timothy Carey and Bart Bogaert on this
> > > issue.
> > >
> > > Personally, I think that we should add these nodes, since the ML
> > > comments indicated that pre configuration is pretty useful.
> > >

> > I am still not sure what exactly this will do. I have been looking at
> > <https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netmod/current/msg17039.html>.
> > I am provisioning mfg-name (Preferred value is the manufacturer name
> > string actually printed on the component itself (if present).) but all
> > I have is that something of a certain expected class has been plugged
> > into a certain position of the parent container. Also note that
> > mfg-name scopes comparisons of other properties. I would have similar
> > questions concerning the model-name; how can a provisioning system
> > predict the 'vendor-specific model name identifier'? Or is the whole
> > idea that if I plug something that does not match, the component is
> > left in a special state (which one)? If this is the intention, then
> > this needs to be spelled out clearly somewhere.
>
> The current model works fine if the user looks into the state list and
> finds a component that he wants to configure.  To do this, he uses the
> name of the component as found in the state list, and writes the
> config for this component.
>
> The current model also supports pre-configuration if the user somehow
> can predict the name of a component to-be-inserted.  In this case he
> can write the config, and when the component is plugged in, the system
> will derive the component name, and check the config list for this
> name.  This is a fragile model.
>
> In the proposed model, the user can provide configuration for a tuple
> (parent, class, parent-rel-pos).   If the server finds a component in
> the state list (or such a component is later plugged in), then the
> corresponding config leafs are used for the state of this component
> (including the name).
>
> If you plug in something that doesn't match the config list, well that
> just means that nothing has been configured for this component, and
> the system will populate the state list accordingly.

Well, this is not what I read out of

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netmod/current/msg17039.html

since there are leafs like mfg-name and model-name that seem to be
hardware component properties. And the config list is still indexed by
a name; so for list elements that have a (class, parent, position)
triple, the name would be arbitrary and not necessarily matching the
component name.

Well, if you understand the edits,...