On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 2:54 AM, Ladislav Lhotka <lho...@nic.cz> wrote:

> > On 27 Jan 2017, at 20:23, Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > The "pyang --ietf" validator checks the statement order used in
> data-def-stmts.
> > There is no guideline that says this is required.
> > RFC 7950 says canonical order is RECOMMENDED.
> >
> > 1) data-def sub-statement order
> > Proposal: add new last sentence to sec. 4.6, para 3:
> >
> > YANG data definition sub-statements SHOULD be specified in canonical
> order.
>
> IMO, this adds nothing to what's already stated in 7950. According to RFC
> 2119, SHOULD and RECOMMENDED mean the same.

OK

> > 2) enum/bit statement ordering
> >
> > Proposal: add new para 2 to  sec 5.11.3:
> >
> > The 'enum' statements within an 'enumeration' data type SHOULD be
> > specified in ascending order, based on the implied and/or explicit values
> > of the 'value' sub-statement. The 'bit' statements within a 'bits' data
> type
> > SHOULD be specified in ascending order, based on the implied and/or
> > explicit values of the 'position' sub-statement.
>
> I don't agree. For some enumerations, especially those with a large number
> of enums, it is much more useful for the reader to have the enums ordered
> differently, e.g. alphabetically or geographically. On the other hand,
> numeric enum values often need to be assigned in the order how enums are
> defined in subsequent revisions.

We have been using ascending order in MIB modules and YANG modules
all along.  I think there are about 5000 modules in ascending order and one
not
in ascending order.  The guideline is SHOULD anyway.

YANG prohibits the value or position numbers from changing in
a new revision, so preserving previous ordering is required.

> Lada

Andy