Yes, we'll consider that.

Thanks,

William

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Wilton [mailto:rwil...@cisco.com]
Sent: 23 August 2017 11:26
To: Ivory, William <william.iv...@intl.att.com>; 'Juergen Schoenwaelder'
<j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: 'Alex Campbell' <alex.campb...@aviatnet.com>; 'netmod@ietf.org'
<netmod@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [netmod] Query about augmenting module from submodule in YANG 1.0

On 23/08/2017 11:09, Ivory, William wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Probably shouldn't have mentioned packages as that's really a diversion from
> the main point.  What submodules provide is a way to differentiate YANG nodes
> in a single namespace so that while still belonging to that single namespace,
> subsets may be handled by different daemons simply by routing according to
> submodule id.  That keeps all the identifying logic within YANG.
>
> Obviously if we could start afresh, we'd use separate modules from day one.
> However, we have existing YANG that needs to remain to be
> backwards-compatible, so that isn't an option.
Another potential solution that doesn't use sub modules could be to define a
bespoke YANG extension to annotate your YANG schema tree with any necessary
routing information for it to be handled by the appropriate daemon.

Thanks,
Rob

> Regards,
>
> William

>>> K
>>> 3u4ZYiaQ2ZPGqwkyXmQgBH6r5jpYiYWzhqJ48&m=l7c4IPL049A2bVVO14fyBMly211x
>>> U
>>> 6 1xSHgPlAT7owI&s=-kR4fUtXArQy0RwWb32DpT1bP4X_cNqt2zJVoC0JiX8&e=
>>>
>>> Rob

>>> a
>>> Q
>>> 2ZPGqwkyXmQgBH6r5jpYiYWzhqJ48&m=l7c4IPL049A2bVVO14fyBMly211xU61xSHgP
>>> l A T7owI&s=t7vGIH8ABuAm00e-bkSowD9eawModGq0N2OkjANtpYI&e=

>>> a
>>> Q
>>> 2ZPGqwkyXmQgBH6r5jpYiYWzhqJ48&m=esi8GPSc1xVjTt9SKxqzNHRDXT2P1h01a-Ue
>>> b n ST-Yo&s=PctKy3ij6W0TQs1NFp18SX8MQtYKeG9RxADh3cphcxU&e=

>>> a
>>> Q
>>> 2ZPGqwkyXmQgBH6r5jpYiYWzhqJ48&m=RH3zvD2B8_s4uw1PXm_ka37vgz9_q2Rc87tD
>>> 8 K fZ9jA&s=XydU0vXE0AEg2FDE-kx_Ae6rOOAh5koxEeJ2cefgDNA&e=