----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Bjorklund" <m...@tail-f.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:42 PM

> Lou Berger <lber...@labn.net> wrote:

Schema
> > > If that's the requirement, using the tree diagram is probably not
the
> > > best way.  The tree diagram is intended to provide an overview of
> > > given (set of) YANG module(s).
> > >
> > > A perhaps better way to convey the information is to create a file
> > > with an instantiated /schema-mounts tree.
> > using what syntax? JSON and XML really isn't that easy for the
(human)
> > reader to parse.
>
> Either JSON or XML.

> > > Hence the

> > > Fully agree!  I would say that we have to make sure that the
diagrams
> > > can be understood by people less familiar with the technology than
the
> > > authors.  Mixing schema and instance data does not help here.
> >
> > Can you propose an alternative?
>
> As I have written before, I think the "/" is not needed, so I would
> remove that.  I would also not list the nodes from "parent-references"
> in the same tree ouput.  It is not clear to me that this level of
> detail is needed in the tree, and - as noted before - it isn't even
> correct to list e.g. "interfaces" when the parent-reference in fact
> selects a single interface.
>
> > The routing WG participants seem to
> > find these useful, we can also ask there for broader input if you'd
like.

> One approach is to add the union of eveything that some people find
> useful.  In the end we have to look for WG consensus.  Several people
> have said that they prefer a less cluttered format.

A union is what might be termed the OSI approach to design, an approach
that led to ... well, ISIS and that's about it.

draft-ietf-isis-yang-isis-cfg-18 has some 10 pages of tree structure
which are of little help to me in understanding the module.

With draft-ietf-teas-yang-te-topo-12, the tree structure
runs to over 35 pages and then I think that the tree structure has
failed.

Adding more symbols will not help.

Less is More.

Tom Petch