On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 02:02:55PM -0800, Andy Bierman wrote:

> IMO it will be difficult to agree on the details of this draft
> without agreeing on the problem statement first.

+1

> I am interested in these tags as a new type of standard selection filter.
> It can be applied to data retrieval, NACM rules, YANG push subtree
> selection,
> and probably many more use-cases.  So the problem statement
> might be:
>
>    There is a need for standardized mechanisms to classify YANG data nodes
> with tags,
>    which can be used in protocol operations to select matching data nodes,
> based on tag values.
>    This work includes the management and assignment of tags, and their
> generalized use
>    within protocol operations.

The I-D talks about tags for YANG _modules_, you are talking about
tags for YANG data nodes and you seem to imply that these tags are
associated to instance data and that they can be used in protocol
operations. (And then I note we already have metadata that can be
associated to instance data. And there was Andy's packages work, which
can be seen as another way to tag collections of schema nodes.)

So yes, there is a need to agree on what the problem is that is to be
solved (and to consider how solutions fit into the framework we
already have in place).

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>