Hi Mike,

On 16/10/2018 14:26, Michael Rehder wrote:
I've read rfc6110 and I didn't see any mention of "WHEN" on the mandatory
status (section 9.1.1 Optional and Mandatory Nodes doesn't list it which seems a bit odd
to me).
The section on "WHEN" just mentions the xpath mapping, not anything about
changing the mandatory status of the enclosing node.

I still think that the YANG RFC wording of "conditional" needs to indicate if
the node is mandatory status is affected or not.
Note that rfc6060 "3.1 Mandatory Nodes" doesn't mention "WHEN" (it does mention
presence).
By YANG RFC do you mean RFC 6020/7950?

Section 8.1 of RFC 7950 states the following constraints apply on valid data trees:

   o  There MUST be no nodes tagged with "when" present if the "when"
      condition evaluates to "false" in the data tree.

   o  The "mandatory" constraint is enforced for leafs and choices,
      unless the node or any of its ancestors has a "when" condition or
      "if-feature" expression that evaluates to "false".

   o  The "min-elements" and "max-elements" constraints are enforced for
      lists and leaf-lists, unless the node or any of its ancestors has
      a "when" condition or "if-feature" expression that evaluates to
      "false".

These rules indicate that "when" trumps "mandatory", "min-elements" and
"max-elements".

Thanks,
Rob

Thanks