> On Nov 14, 2018, at 10:14 AM, Robert Wilton <rwil...@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> On 14/11/2018 13:46, Christian Hopps wrote:
>> Do you have similar objections over comments in CLI config files?
>
> No, not at all.
>
> But one difference here is that the tags are bound to modules, not to the
> config, or config paths.

This has nothing to do with the point I am addressing that you and Alex raised
regarding "Servers not using the tags so why should they store them".

The answer is:

1) B/c there's literally no where else they could be stored (no way for a
vendor to add tags)
2) There are other examples of servers storing things they don't use like
comments, so "server not using what it stores" isn't a reason to not store them
on the server in the first place.

Regarding the rest. Maybe we should write a requirements draft and a use cases
draft for the use of meta-data/tags for organizing things.

And maybe let's put this work on hold until we can find someone that is willing
to do all that busy work.

I understand more and more why openconfig exists.

Thanks,
Chris.