Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:22:11AM +0100, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> > Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> writes:

> > > Time for an errata?
> >
> > Here is the old discussion thread:
> >
> > https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netmod/current/msg15979.html
> >
> > Everything relevant had been extensively discussed in it, and I am
> > sceptical that we can come up with anything significantly better - it
> > will only be more (or different) hand-waving. The problem is inherent in
> > the leafref design introduced in YANG 1.1. It won't go away no matter
> > how much we paper over it.
> >

> So you think the use of 'schema tree' in the text quoted above (is
> used to identify the referred leaf or leaf-list node in the schema
> tree) is correct??
>
> I do not want to discuss whether you like the design of leafrefs or
> not here - at this time we should focus on whether the text is correct
> or not given the design we have. So again, you think that 'schema
> tree' is correct in the statement?

After reading the quoted thread and thinking some more, I think the
text in 9.9 is in fact correct.  As Lada wrote in that thread:

   2. It [path] also implicitly refers to a leaf node in the schema
      [...]

The problem is that this "implicit reference" isn't defined.  9.9
talks about reference to a schema node, and 9.9.2 talks about the data
tree, but there is no text that ties these together.