I also think that the instance data header needs to have a way of indicating which modules (and versions/revisions) the instance data applies to.

It can be optional, so producers that know it is not required can leave it out.  But I think that it is required, at least for situations where being able to programmatically consume the instance data in a robust way is important.

Thanks,
Rob