Some systems require a "canonical" prefix, in that there cannot be bits past
the mask length.
Like
  192.168.1.1/24
is not legal due to the ".1" for the last octet, which should be ".0".

The ietf-inet-types definition says this but does not enforce it.
Such enforcement exceeds regexp capability (as far as I know).
Note also that the ietf pattern regexp are not anchored so
" junk192.168.1.1"
and
"    192.168.1.1   "
Are accepted. I don't know why they are unanchored. This makes them unusable in
my view.

As a result I've written my own regxp and a somewhat elaborate MUST clause for
canonical format check but a specific type would be better.
Another perspective is to ensure there is some way to avoid using MUST to
simply constrain type.
Has that ever been discussed?

Thanks
Mike