On 2019-04-18 18:02, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 03:14:20PM +0200, Per Hedeland wrote:

Agreed - except the not entirely minor nit that the thing after the
"/" is not a prefix but a *prefix-length*. Another way of putting it
is that the IP address is a property of an interface, while the
prefix-length or subnet mask is a property of the network that an
interface is connected to.

The property relevant for the network is the _prefix_, not the
prefix-length.

Agreed.

The prefix-length 12 does not tell the system the
network prefix that is valid on the link, the prefix tells it. In
other words, you have a single value that gives you an address and a
prefix, hence ip-address-and-prefix. The question is whether we name
it according to the pieces that go into the combined value or whether
we name it according to the meaning of the combined value. What goes
in is "address + prefix length" and the meaning is "address + prefix".

Very good analysis on why we have different opinions for the name :)

I can tell someone "enter the address and prefix-length" and they will understand what I mean. I don't think it is clear what to enter if someone says "enter the address and prefix".. this is why I think ip*-address-and-prefix-length is the more natural name :)

Kind regards,
   Kristian.