On 2019-04-01 19:38, Acee Lindem (acee) wrote:

On 4/1/19, 1:30 PM, "Martin Bjorklund" <m...@tail-f.com> wrote:

     Hi,
The request was for a combined type that contains both an ip address
     *and* a prefix length in one value.  Hence the name
     "ip-address-and-prefix-length" :)

Ok - I understand now.
I know that this type is convenient, esp. if you use it for manual
     input, but I wonder if it really is good practice to squeeze two
     values into one.

Agreed. It seems a prefix with a prefix length of 32 for IPv4 or 128 for IPv6
would allow specification.

No, it does not. You must be referring to some other use case. I want to configure the IP address and prefix-length on an interface. The prefix-length naturally needs to align with the prefix-length / subnet mask used on the network to which the interface is connected. If it is a /24 network then the prefix-length needs to be 24. I can't just say it's a /32 so I can enter this information - the router wouldn't understand what is then connected to that network / interface and wouldn't be able to route packets correctly.

At the same time, I need to specify the exact IP address to be used by this device on the interface, so I need to have bits set to the right of the mask, thus I can't use current ip-prefix type.

The convenience is primarily for mapping to CLI.

Heh, I don't understand what it has to do with CLI but since you're the second person mentioning there must be some connection I don't see.

Kind regards,
   Kristian.

     "Acee Lindem (acee)" <a...@cisco.com> wrote:
     > Ok, now I'm confused. I see that the ietf-inet-type model already has
the types ipv4-prefix and ipv6-prefix. How are these any different???
     > Thanks,
     > Acee
     >
     > On 4/1/19, 12:31 PM, "Acee Lindem (acee)" <a...@cisco.com> wrote:
     >
     >     I believe the "address-" could be omitted from the type identifiers. At least
within the routing area, "ipv4-prefix" is unambiguous.

<netmod-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:

     >         This is the right time for this and I would call these
     >         ip-address-prefix, ipv4-address-prefix and ipv6-address
     >         prefix.
     >
     >         /js
     >
     >         On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 04:38:34PM +0200, Kristian Larsson wrote:
     >         > Hello,
     >         >
     >         > seeing that 6991 is up for a refresh I wonder if this would be
the time to
     >         > suggest the addition of a type for address-and-prefix-length,
for example
     >         > like 192.0.2.1/24?
     >         >
     >         > I find that it's the most natural way express the address and
prefix-length
     >         > to configure on an interface or for some other use. We
currently have an
     >         > ip-prefix type which allows CIDR style prefixes but since all
bits to the
     >         > right of the mask is to be 0 it is only possible to use for
describing the
     >         > IP prefix / network address itself - not the address of a host
in that
     >         > network.
     >         >
     >         > I actually wish the interface-ip modules would have used a
combined leaf for
     >         > these settings rather than the dual-leaf approach it currently
has, but I
     >         > suppose that ship has sailed :/
     >         >
     >         > Regardless, can we add such a type? Is this the document and
time to do it?
     >         > :)
     >         >
     >         > Kind regard,
     >         >    Kristian.
     >         >
     >         > netmod mailing list
     >         > netmod@ietf.org
     >
     >         --
     >         Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
     >         Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen |
Germany
<https://www.jacobs-university.de/>