On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 12:14:17PM +0200, Erik Auerswald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 10:36:17AM +0200, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> > > Oh yes, I messed it up by mixing different things together, sorry. I
> > > checked again the ML archive, and the message that is relevant to this
> > > thread is this:
> > >
> > > https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/netmod/PISOifrtow4oWLGW7meBBSri7nM/
> > >
> > > The aim of that proposal was to limit the "inet:host" type to DNS names
> > > that are reasonable as host names, i.e. eliminate values like "." or "_".
> >
> > You are proposing to change the length restriction from 1..253 to
> > 2..253 following RFC 952:
> >
> >    [...] Single character names
> >    or nicknames are not allowed.
>
> What about single character host names currently used, e.g.,
> a.root-servers.net.?
>
> There are single character subdomain labels in use as well, e.g., l.de..

The description of 'host name' in RFC 8499 explains that host names
are considerd to be domain names but in some contexts a host name is
considered to be just the first label of a domain name. In our
context, however, it is pretty clear that we consider a host name to
be a domain name. Hence, what Lada suggests is to formally disallow
names like 'a.' while 'a.root-servers.net.' would not be affected.

Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>