On 27. 07. 20 12:44, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:51:31AM +0200, Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
>> Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> writes:
>>
>>> So would the following do the right thing?
>>
>> The invert-match pattern also needs to be added in order to avoid reserved
>> labels:
>
> Why are they illegal? If we make them illegal, how are we going to
> deal with hosts that have non-ASCII names?

I am not able to find in what sense the "Reserved LDH" labels of RFC
5890 are really reserved, and I am not sure about the implications of
permitting "xn--..." hostnames to be explicitly configured.

If we want to allow non-ASCII names, then it would IMO be safer to use a
type that expects straight Unicode for lexical representation and leave
it to the implementations to convert to Punycode where necessary, e.g.
when querying DNS.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka