Hi -

On 2020-12-29 8:26 AM, Adrian Farrel wrote:
Since "intent-based networking" is a big thing once again (see recent
reports of acquisitions in this sector) the excitement about ECA may be
forgiven, but it would help to ground the discussions if those who can
remember previous efforts would share their experiences or at least some
pointers.

E.g. ISO/IEC 10164-19 (ITU-T X.749) immediately springs to mind.  A
cursory look at my files shows that it was under active development
in 1992, but I'm sure the underlying work was older.

A few memorable concepts from that work (from my perspective) were:

  - the need to be able to specify the set of things to
    which a policy might apply both intensionally and
    extensionally

  - distinguishing the formulation of a policy from the
    formulation of its domain of applicability
    (in the mathematical sense) and from its configured
    realm of applicability (jurisdiction) and from the
    set of instances to which it actually applies at a
    given moment

  - recognition that the problem of finding policy conflicts
    is ultimately equivalent to the halting problem if policies
    can affect the managed resources, but that conflict detection
    is still of great practical value

I'm sure there's lots more, I've had plenty of time to forget stuff.

Randy