> A server accepting and returning non-valid config is also a surprise
> and inconvenience.

Andy made a similar point in his reply but it is currently implemented today
and there are some desirable aspects of that functionality. Many major server
implementations (at least in the router space) have this concept of hidden
config that can be referenced, and support configuration templates.  Both of
those mean the server is accepting and returning "non-valid config".

(quotes around "non-valid config" because we're debating what it means to have
valid config in this discussion -> i.e. is it ok that running is invalid, as
long as intended is valid ?)

Jason