On 2022-01-04, at 18:10, tom petch <ie...@btconnect.com> wrote:

> <tp>
> The OED defined hyphenation as meaning 'contains a hyphen' so I shall stay
> with that pro tem.

Which is a nice example for how general purpose dictionaries don’t always
capture the full meaning of technical terms very well.
(Wikipedia is better here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphenation redirects
to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllabification which explains:
“This article is about the division of words to break lines”.)

For many of us, a hyphenated “hyphenation" is “hy-phe-na-tion”, which is not
what is meant here.

(And, to add injury to insult, there actually is no hyphen in a kebab-case
term, as the words are connected by a Unicode hyphen-minus U+002D, not a
Unicode hyphen U+2010.  So you’d need to say hyphen-minus-ated...)

> I prefer the absence of hyphens so I do not have to spell out their presence
> over the phone to the operator who is trying to restore their crashed
> payments system.

Soyoupreferforwordstoruninlikethis?
No, you need those word breaks, and “hyphen” is easy to say on the phone, or
actually given that ASCII does not really have hyphens anyway, you can say
“dash”, which is one syllable shorter.

> Case insensitivity helps in that regard as well.

Absence of frivolous case variation helps even more.

But all this is irrelevant; the YANG ecosystem’s preference for kebab-case is
well-established; I just was pointing out the common term to use for
identifying that convention.

Grüße, Carsten