On 4/20/22, 6:35 PM, "netmod on behalf of Jürgen Schönwälder"
<netmod-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de>
wrote:

    On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 02:51:35PM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
    > On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 2:34 PM Jürgen Schönwälder <
    > j.schoenwael...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
    >
    > > I am not sure it helps to look at individual data models but since
    > > openconfig is often presented as getting things right, here is what I
    > > find in openconfig-system-logging.yang
    > >
    > Not sure why this missing feature is relevant.

    I suggest that people questioning the need to support scoped IPv6
    addresses in IETF YANG data models write an I-D explaining why IETF
    YANG data models do not need to support scoped IPv6 addresses and pass
    the I-D through the IPv6 working group.

The question is not whether there is a single use case for IPv6 link local
addresses with a zone. The question is whether the base pattern for IPv6
addresses should include a zone and whether one was expected for all the
existing YANG model usages of inet:ipv6-address. I think that given the very
narrow scope, the answer is clearly no.  Additionally, the zone is only
applicable to IPv6 link-local addresses yet the pattern in RFC 6991 allows the
zone for ALL IPv6 addresses. This is also clearly wrong.

Do you at least admit that IPv4 link-scoped addresses with zone have no useful
purpose? Or are you going to try and argue that the ever-popular 169.254.0.0/16
addresses are an absolute requirement for YANG models and expected for every
usage of inet:ipv4-address?

Acee
P.S. I would add that it is a good thing that syslog server can't be mapped to
a link-local address with a zone in the Open-Config model. In general, IPv6
services such as syslog servers should be mapped to global IPv6 addresses.

    Jürgen Schönwälder              Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
    Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>