On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 1:48 PM Jeffrey Haas <jh...@pfrc.org> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> On Apr 13, 2023, at 4:42 PM, Andy Bierman <a...@yumaworks.com> wrote:
>

>> Repeating my question to Acee... did you read the draft?  This isn't a
>> theoretical use case.
>>

> Seeing no response, I'll assume "no".
>
> And yet, here you are stating an opinion.
>>
>> My opinion on this matter stems from the use case being mostly known and
>> assigned bits and a small number of unknown bits and a desire to not to
>> have to make my model users go fishing for the exceptions.
>>

> The typedef provides no semantics other than which bits are set in a bit
> string.
>

> For the unknown case.  The semantic is implied by the leaf.

In all cases this is true.

> There are other ways to do that and all of them are valid usage of YANG.
> I do not see how either encoding above requires "fishing" any more than
> the other.
>

> And thus ceteris paribus... you have no objections to this mechanism?

I do not support adoption or oppose adoption.
Identification of arbitrary bits in a bit-string is a solved problem -- but
not using YANG bits type.
If people want that solution then they will be happy to have this new
typedef.

>> And yet, we're here because the current design of YANG doesn't handle
>> this unknown case well.
>>

> Changing the identifier breaks XML and JSON encoding of bits, so that is
> why it says MUST NOT do this in RFC 7950.
>

> The known leaf and unknown leaf do not change names.
> The unknown leaf does not change type.
> The known leaf's type is maintained according to current YANG versioning
> rules.  No on the wire behaviors are broken.
>
> Whether the semantic of a previously displayed unknown bit switching to a
> known bit is a non-backward compatible change is a reasonable debate.  I
> suggest you offer an opinion in Jason's thread on that matter.

The identifier is used on the wire.
Changing it for a given leaf in a new module revision is not allowed.

I guess I misunderstood that the bit identifier would change once it is
known.
e.g.  bit-3 is changed to some other string.  If the bit identifiers never
change
then there is no problem.